Tuesday, July 11, 2023

News from the Paddock and Beyond

He has not pinned his ears at me or bared his teeth. He has not chased me out of the paddock or tried to kick me. Our relationship did not fall apart immediately following that first ride. 
In fact, the day after he found me sitting on one of my favorite rocks, marched over gave me a good shove in the back and hung out with me. We established last summer that walking up and touching me with his nose was asking me to come with him so I matched steps for a bit and gave him some scratches. 

George thought I was ok that day too.
I am 3 rides in now and definitely finding fun. He is an easy ride for me and I get carried away quickly (metaphorically and literally). His slow trot and easy turns give me space to think and to feel.

Today, I was reminded that I have to stay focused and mind myself while learning to have fun again.

I planned a long ride full of slow movements and lots of transitions but he swept me away. He seemed willing to do all things so we trotted and stopped and walked and did turn on the forehand, turn on the haunches and trotted more. 

I wasn't really thinking about it, just enjoying. I tried a little leg yield at the trot and he decided a canter was the better option. I thought it would just be a few steps so I rode it out. But it didn't stop.  I grabbed the reins, then relaxed the reins, sat, realized I was bouncing on him, then stood a little... grabbed the reins again... Took me about a lap and a half to figure out what I was supposed to do with that thing. Finally, I remembered the open rein and large spiraling circle to slow him.

It wasn't pretty but we made it. 

When the same thing happened later, I was prepared and like to think the circle to slow was a little more elegant. 

We went through it all. And my with all that my planned lo g ride only lasted about 30 minuntes. I got off and my brain started processing all that happened. In a good way.

The first thought was thar all this riding happened in front of campers. As BW launches it's non-ridden camps, it was probably not so fair to cowboy it up at that moment. Awareness.
Hero is the same as he was when I first started with him. He is enough "with me" to make it work but mostly consumed with shade, the gate and other horses. I have to do things (small things but have to be done) in order to bring him back to the moment. Constantly. Presence.

He can be really fast. There is little thought to his more forward gaits. You can feel him the "escape attempt" underneath you. Fun to ride. For now. Ground and breathe.

I realize if I don't mind myself we will be right back to where we were when things went off the rails with him. I can have my fun but not so much that I let us stay where we are. Or worse. Go back.

And not so much that I forget where I am and what is happening at BW... The connection and groundwork is vital to our horses and our community. 
So we will work. And play. Ground, Aware, Present in the saddle as we learn to breathe together. As I figure out how to draw the horses mind more and more...

Yes, Hero is the same. I am not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment