Saturday, February 19, 2011

Catching up part 1: Monday and Tuesday

Monday was a total wash. Matilda and I were completely out of sync and she had either forgotten or was refusing to give me even one side step. She started walking ahead of me and cutting me off again, which I don't think she had done in a few days. Frustrations ran high on both sides and it was not a day that is really even worth mentioning other than to say I went and we tried.

On the way home I thought about the fact that I really felt rushed from the moment I got to the barn and had been anxious to get home. hmmmm.....

Tuesday I spent my 45 minute drive in reminding myself that there was nothing pressing at home. It was going to be a beautiful day and that I had all the time in the world. I also reminded myself not to be frustrated if Matilda moves forward and sideways at the same time. Perfection is not required...

If you can believe it, it was a much better day. Matilda was quiet, calm and respectful. Rather than jump into the lateral movement, we started slowly with all the things that are comfortable to us: Come, back, stand still and a little bit of touch the target stick. We walked together and she stayed pretty well to my right and behind so that I could click and drop carrots every few steps.

After all of my consternation last week, she stood beautifully, allowing me to go from side to side and even walk up and touch her side without moving away from me. No props required on Tuesday.

I don't know how to describe the feeling other than to say that there was a quietness about her that certainly wasn't there the day before.

Since I was trying to keep things simple and relaxed I decided not to bring target sticks and dressage whips into the paddock to tap or press her over this time. I just used myself. I walked over to her good side and put one hand against her face (a feat in and of itself) to keep her head straight and pressed against her side with my fist just behind her front leg, where the girth would be. She offered all the usual straight forward and straight backward movement, but I kept the pressure on until she moved a lot forward with a little to the side. We only did that a few times before I moved to the right. It was the exact same experience.

After that, we did some neck stretches and I left it at that. It was a very short work day, but pleasant and, as I said before, quiet. Since the day before I had left the paddock angry and exasperated, this was all I could ask for. It was a day for small successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment