Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lesson Learned in a Lesson

Today was lesson two in the weekly series of lessons I plan on taking until the beginning of June. What a difference it makes to have someone else creating the exercise and changing it if necessary, to get instant feedback (whether it be compliment or critique) and to know you can settle into the process because this isn't your one shot to get as much as you can... that it will not be 3-6 months before you get anymore concentrated feedback (unless you are willing to interrupt some poor slubs lesson:/ guilty.)

It was so nice to feel the progression as Kim corrected, suggested and encouraged. And how beautiful to talk about what you felt and be able to ask questions and laugh about the weird things that might happen in the course of an hour.

One of the things I've been battling with Matilda recently is a short attention span. After half hour in the ring she would start to stumble and pop shoulders and head toss... to me, indications of loss of focus for one reason or another...

Today, as I began expounding on something like my 6th topic in twenty minutes ... well, Squirrel! What was I saying?

Most animals, horses included, become, in part at least, reflections of their rider; they mirror their riders focus, stiffness, fear, tension, softness, etc. I just had to laugh as I realized that Matilda's attention issues were mine as well! It helps to have eyes on the ground identifying where you have become the problem.

Then it helps to laugh at yourself.

Ride time by yourself is important, too, but I really do need more than 1 lesson every 6 months if I want to keep growing as a rider. I am looking forward to May.

No comments:

Post a Comment