Thursday, April 19, 2012

Why Be Normal?... Wait, What's Normal?

"I just want to be normal." I heard these words today and they were so familiar to my ears. I had to ask, "Why?" Then I realized that 'normal' is such a vague, nebulous term.... what does it even mean?

In college pursuing "normalcy" for me meant drinking, smoking and other things that are not important to detail (I mean, my mother is my biggest fan). Basically ignoring Doctors who would tell me to be careful because of the medications I was on at the time. Dangerous pursuits.

Wouldn't it be wiser to define the person you want to be, rather than go after some intangible ideal?

I want to be an honest person, responsible with integrity. I want to be brave. (I'm not saying this is who I am, mind you. Certainly not... yet.) I want to be happy, to laugh every day. I want to be a person that people enjoy and look forward to being with; I want to be the cause of laughter in those around me.

Is this a normal person? I don't think so. It is the person I want to be, however, defined by words that have meaning to me.

I want to be a good rider. Vague, nebulous. (I love that word - Neh-byooo-louuuus - its pretty and fun to say) The definition of a 'good rider' will change from barn to barn. It will depend on your age and discipline. For some, it is simply going over the highest jump you can as soon as you can, but being able to hold your seat over a jump doesn't necessarily mean you rode it well. Again, VERY dangerous pursuits.

I want to be a well balanced rider. Balanced physically in the saddle; balanced in my approach to the horse by spending time working, playing or relaxing for a spa day.
I want to be a rider that listens. Listens to the horse and is willing to lay aside what I want for what she needs. Listens to the words of the people around me, whether they be compliments or criticisms, with respect and humility, without becoming defensive or hurt.

I want to build a relationship with a horse that is based on who we are, not someone's guaranteed system that will work for anybody. We're not anybody. We're not normal (see above). We're Sarah and Matilda. So there.

Lastly, I want to be a rider who is always aware that any time I am with a horse, it is a blessing. Any time I am on a horse, it is a miracle. A blazing one. With fire and angelic choirs.

Many would say that achieving these goals won't make you a 'good rider'. Well, I'm not looking for that. I want more.

Yeah, that's the person I want to be. That's the rider I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment