Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Following Up on the Fall

After my fall last Friday, I had a weekend to reflect and think and try to suppress the paranoia that wanted to build up. I committed myself to riding every day possible this week, even if I didn't want to. (I still ended up riding only 2 out of 4 days - but I bought some new boots!)

Tuesday, I did some work in the paddock, bringing out the old target stick and clicker. I brought her up and rode for 20-30 minutes. Light walk and trot with lots of clicks for downward transitions.

Wednesday I did another 5-10 minutes of ground work, using the target stick and walking together, before tacking up and getting on. I rode for about 40 minutes and we did walk, trot and canter then trotted over a cross-rail twice. Matilda did beautifully. She felt good and I really enjoyed the ride. Still lots of click and reward for downward transitions and some for random obediences.

I made an effort to spend more time with Matilda around our rides. I enjoyed a game of "peek-a-boo"/"hide and seek" with her - myself crouching below her stall windows and calling to her until she found me. Fun.


The fall, so dramatic last week, is past and out of my head. I got to sit and watch Matilda in a lesson yesterday. She looked good and relaxed with a happy rider. Now I'm just looking forward to another fun week with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment