Monday, June 20, 2011

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Last night I dreamt that I was dealing with a large black and white horse. The horse was difficult to deal with on the ground, pushy and constantly in motion, and hard to contain under saddle, unwilling to stay at a nicely paced walk or trot. Clearly an amalgamation of the horses in my life, the dream, along with the mirror incident from last week, got me thinking about how horses (and pets in general) perceive and/or reflect us.

I know a lot of horses bolt and like to try to run away but I like to wonder if these two horses that came into my life do it in part because of what they see when they look at me, on some cosmic level. I mean, do these animals pick up on and reflect back the underlying reasons for my getting in the car as a teenager and driving for hours 15 mph over the speed limit (b/c ten over was normal in VA) just because I needed to be moving? Do they see that same longing that was there when I watched my dad race his Trans Am, then RX-7, then Corvette? (Happy Belated Father's Day!)

On some level is there an understanding of that slightly stubborn and rebellious nature that has always been there. ("Slightly?!" I hear my mom say with a laugh, "Do you see these grey hairs??") You know, the one... old memories and stories are unnecessary in order to extrapolate because we all have them. Does it come down the longe line to Matilda or get communicated through body language in ways that I don't understand?

Or is it just that I am aware of these tendencies in myself and they are, therefore, put onto the living things around me, whether they are there in reality or not? I don't really want to know.

But I choose to think that when Matilda looks at me (oh, those rare occasions of actual eye contact), she sees past the thinly veiled disguise of maturity and adulthood and reads the question that has been pushed to the back of my mind... and possibly just there to the left.

"Are we going to canter today, Miss Kim?"

No comments:

Post a Comment